Your Unicornbass is special handbuilt with care. Please use a proper professional Luthier when servicing if needed*. I am here to support any queries you have. We often do setups and services on our instruments. As a Unicornbass owner, you have 10 % discount on all work done on your Unicornbass. So work is actually cheaper done by us due to the fact that we know the bass in and out. If you´re in doubt, give me a call, that´s why I´m here, to give you advice. +46(0)731-510788 or contact me.
How to adjust neck relief:
Neck relief is the most common cure to strings rattling or if the bass feels awkward to play due to exessive forward bow (neck relief).
- Left index finger pressing at the first fret, right pinkie pressing at 15th fret, tap the string on the area of the string over the 7 th fret. There should be a paper thin distance between the string and the 7th fret giving you just about the right relief.
- Some players with much harder styles do want more relief but as a rule, if you have a millimeter in there, it´s too much, robbing the bass of the response and if it´s too close, IE no distance or even a backbow it´s gonna rattle all the time.
- Our trussrods has clockwise (sv: medsols) adjustment for straightening the neck (counteracting the strings wish´ to bend the neck) and counter clockwise (sv: motsols) adjustment if the neck needs more bow "forward". When you adjust, be sure to not overdo it. You should notice big change at 1/4 turn. Our trussrods are dual action if you ever should need to correct a backbow.
IMPORTANT NOTES: You find the adjustment nut at the end of the fretboard, most often it´s a 4 mm or 3,5 mm Hex key (2008 and forward) or a 1/8" (3,2mm), 2007 and backwards. These keys can be purchased through us if lost.
How to adjust the bridge:
There are three height adjustment screws and one locking screw on the top of each string saddle (since 2008). Untighten the locking screw before adjusting height or intonation. Lock after adjusting. There is a lock screw in front of each saddle to adjust individual spacing. Can be used for individual setup or widening or narrowing the right hand setup.
Unlock the lock screw and slide the saddle until proper intonation is accomplished.
They should be adjusted at 4 mm distance from the under part of the strings. they can be slanted also slightly to enhance either the higher or lower strings.
Symptom: No sound in active mode.
- Check battery. replace if necessary. Anything below 8.6 V needs replacing.
- Check battery connectors and clean with electronics cleaner if needed.
- remove electronics compartment lid and check for loose cables, especially around the volume control or the output jack.
Once a year
Normally the fretboard doesnt need that much attention but once a year, take off the strings and use a soft slightly damp microfibre rag and clean off the fingerboard and get rid of the skin and dirt debris. Use mineral oil and smear the fretboard (not laquered ones!) with it, let sink in for a couple of minutes and wipe off any exess until it feels smooth and oil free. String up the bass.
Once a year
Once a year, clean off dirt and grime with a damp microfibre rag, use then a carnauba polish wax (car wax) and wax the bass (not matte finish! Only gloss and sandwax finishes) , let the wax dry and then use a clean paper rag and polish the bass. Only one area at the time. This preserves the shine and good appearance of the bass.